Construction accidents are the most common workplace accidents and typically result in more severe injuries than others. According to the Center for Construction Research and Training, construction workers have the greatest number of fatal and nonfatal injuries.

Construction accidents happen virtually every day in Texas. A large number of them require the injured worker to seek medical attention. This can lead to days, weeks or months of lost income and financial uncertainty.

Who Can I hold Responsible For My Construction Accident?

If you are injured on the job in Texas, you can hold anyone of the following people responsible for compensating you for your injuries and losses:

  • Employers
  • Coworkers
  • General contractors
  • Subcontractors
  • Property owners
  • Equipment manufacturers

Common Causes of Construction Accidents in Texas

Construction accidents can happen in many different ways. Some of the most common causes of construction accidents in Texas are as follows:

  • Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) violations
  • Electrocutions Burns
  • Power tool accidents
  • Falls from ladders
  • Roofs
  • Scaffolding
  • Construction vehicles such as a crane and forklifts
  • Inadequate safeguards
  • Lack of employee supervision
  • Intoxicated coworkers
  • Poorly trained co-workers
  • Cave-ins and collapses

Workers’ Compensation in Texas

In Texas, there are two types of workers’ compensation claims:

  1. Claims against employers who carry workers compensation
  2. Claims against employers who do not carry workers compensation

If your employer purchases workers’ compensation, you will need to make a claim with the Texas Division of Workers’ Compensation. If you are unsure if your employer carries workers’ compensation or not, contact a qualified workers’ compensation attorney.

NonSubscriber Workers’ Compensation in Texas

Many employers in Texas choose not to purchase workers’ compensation. They are referred to as non-subscribers and you still have a right to seek compensation from them. This is true even if your employer pays for your medical bills or lost wages.

An employer must notify you on an employee bulletin board or in an employee handbook that they do not carry workers compensation. They may also disclose this in a document known as a summary plan description.

Often a nonsubscriber employer will have an occupational employee benefit plan that pays for your medical bills or part of your wages. However, this is not the only compensation you are entitled to. You are also entitled to compensation for your pain disfigurement and emotional distress.

Regardless of how your employer compensates you for your injuries, you should always report an accident that happens on the job to your employer. When filling out a report, be completely truthful and clearly explain who is responsible for the accident and why. If you fail to report a work-related injury, your claim may be denied.

Contact a Construction Accident Lawyer in Hardin County Texas

If you have been injured in a construction accident in Silsbee or elsewhere in Hardin County, Texas, contact a Silsbee construction accident lawyer for guidance, support and assistance in receiving the compensation you are entitled to.