Truck And 18 Wheeler Accident in Houston
Eighteen wheelers are large, powerful vehicles that are capable of causing substantial damage. When accident and collisions occur involving trucks, the amount of damage that is caused is significant and can include substantial injuries and often even fatalities. To obtain compensation for accidents in the Houston area involving eighteen wheelers, it often becomes necessary for individuals to consult with an experienced accident attorney. Accident victims must understand that there are some vital facts, which include the following, when pursuing compensation for an eighteen wheeler accident.
What Are The Common Causes Of Truck Accidents?
Given the size and power of eighteen wheelers, many small errors made by drivers can result in substantial accidents. Some of the most common causes of truck accidents, however, include the following:
- Driving Error. Driving error represents one of the most common causes of truck accidents. Drivers who engage in a variety of behaviors including alcohol abuse, distractions, exhaustion, and speeding are particularly susceptible to driving error.
- Equipment Failure. Equipment failures can be caused by either manufacturing or design defective. These failures can directly cause truck accidents. It is the responsibility of the truck driver and the trucking company to perform periodic inspections of truck and make all necessary updates to prevent an accident.
- No Zones. No zones, which are also referred as blind spots, are the areas where a truck driver loses sight of other nearby vehicles. Trucks and eighteen wheelers have a large number of no zones including the areas behind the truck, in front of the truck, and directly beside the truck’s right doors. As a result of these no zones, drivers must be careful when passing these vehicles while on the road.
- Weather Conditions. Weather conditions including ice, rain, and wind can creates dangerous situations for trucks that can impact visibility and limit vehicle movement causing an increase in the number of accidents and collisions.
What Steps Can Be Taken To Avoid Truck And Eighteen Wheeler Collisions?
Fortunately, there are some driving techniques that can be utilized by motorists to reduce the risk of being involved in a truck or eighteen wheeler collisions. These driving methods include the following:
- Avoid Driving In Front of Trucks. Because trucks require a larger stopping distance than cars and cannot make sudden lane changes, motor vehicle drivers are urged to avoid traveling directly in front of trucks and eighteen wheelers.
- Do Not Tailgate. When motor vehicle drivers tailgate trucks, an added danger is created in which the motor vehicle risks going underneath the truck if the truck brakes suddenly. As a result, motor vehicle drivers must never tailgate trucks.
- Maintain A Safe Distance. Motor vehicle drivers should make sure to maintain a safe distance between motor vehicles and trucks or eighteen wheelers.
- Maintain Visibility. Motor vehicle drivers should make sure that the motor vehicle remains visible in the mirrors of trucks and eighteen wheelers. Avoiding a truck’s blind spot will decrease the chances of a motor vehicle collision occurring.
- Pass Trucks On The Left Side. Many trucks have substantial blind spots on the right side, which means that motor vehicle drivers should avoid passing on the right side. By passing trucks always on the left side, motor vehicle drivers have a much better chance of avoiding being involved in a motor vehicle accident.
The Advantage Of A Houston Accident Attorney
An experienced Houston accident proves essential when truck or eighteen wheeler accidents occur. These lawyers know the various Texas laws concerning these types of accidents and what strategies are best used in order to reach the best possible results.