Located in Orange County, West Orange is part of the Beaumont-Port Arthur-Metropolitan Statistical Area had a population of over 3,000 at the time of the 2010. During the early part of the 1900’s, West Orange grew quickly in size due to the site’s location to the industrial facilities in Orange as well as brick and oil production in Port Vernon. Like many heavily industrialized locations in the area like Jefferson County, West Orange began decline as this type of production moved elsewhere in the United States and the world.
There are many companies in West Orange including McCoy’s Building Supply, Conrad Orange Shipyard, Alloy Polymers Incorporated, Fastenal, Invista, Akrotex Incorporated, Honeywell, Cloeren Incorporated, Chem 32 LLC, and Chevron Phillips Chemical Company. Workers at each of these companies are at risk of being seriously injured if an accident occurs. Some of the most recent accidents that have occurred at these locations include the following:
- In 2003, a Honeywell worker opened a one-ton cylinder that had been labeled as a harmless refrigerant at a Honeywell plant believing the container was empty. The cylinder, however, contained several thousand pounds of a highly toxic and corrosive material that sprayed the worker with the liquid causing severe internal organ damage as well as external injuries. The worker died from these chemical burns.
- In 2012, a 700 pound piece of steel fell on a man working at Cloeren Incorporated causing the man to almost lose his arm.
- In 2013, a worker for McCoy’s Building Supply as killed due to injuries from when the worker was crushed between a truck and a forklift. At the time that the accident occurred, the worker was in the process of unloading sheetrock.
- In 2016, a worker died in an accident at Fastenal. The worker drove a forklift onto a flatbed truck, parked the forklift, jumped to the ground, and the forklift slid backwards off the truck and struck the man.
- In 2016, a worker at the Chevron Phillips Chemical plant died when the worker was injured in a construction accident due to unknown causes.
Car Accidents in West Orange
2177 County Road is one of the major roads in West Orange. The Texas Department of Transportation reports that there were 6 people in Orange County in 20015 were killed due to motor vehicle accidents. Some of these examples have occurred in the following way:
- In 2016, a motorcyclist was injured at a two vehicle crash at an intersection in West Orange.
- In 2016, several students were injured in a van accident that occurred in West Orange.
- In 2016, a six car “pile up” accident occurred in West Orange resulting in many injuries.
- In 2017, a dump truck was involved in an accident with a motor vehicle who was operating a vehicle while intoxicated. This is one of many accidents involving trucks and eighteen wheelers that occur each year in West Orange.
West Orange Medical Malpractice
Both the Baptist Orange Hospital and Orange County Urgent Care are medical facilities in the Orange area. Medical malpractice is a type of negligent act by medical staff that seriously injures or kills a patient. Unfortunately, all medical facilities are at the risk of performing medical malpractice. Statistics reveal that over 200,000 individuals each year die due to medical malpractice. If you are injured by medical malpractice, a skilled attorney can prove to be particularly helpful.
There are several types of toxic substances in West Orange to which workers are exposed, including the following:
- Asbestos Exposure. Being exposed to asbestos in the workplace can increase the risk of many serious illnesses including asbestosis, internal organs.damage, and lung cancer. Statistics reveal that there were 298 deaths from asbestos between 1999 to 2013. Asbestos has been located in use at American Oil, Chevron Refinery, Consolidated Steel Shipbuilding, Sabine Industries, and Weaver Shipyard.
- Mesothelioma is a malignant type of cancer in the lining of the lungs, heart or abdomen that is caused by inhaling asbestos fibers. Most asbestos exposure victims require the assistance of a mesothelioma attorney. Some of the locations in Orange where workers can contract mesothelioma include BF Goodrich, Echo, DuPont Chemical Plant, and Livingston Shipyard.
- Benzene Exposure. Benzene can cause acute and chronic leukemia in addition to leukemia, non Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and aplastic anemia. In many cases, medical ailments due to benzene can take years to develop.
Contact a West Orange Attorney
For victims are injured in West Orange while on the job, do not hesitate to contact a talented attorney who will fight for the compensation that you deserve.