Located in Hardin County and part of the Beaumont-Port Arthur Metropolitan Statistical Area,, the population of Sour Lake was over 1,800 people at the time of the 2010 census. The city is home to a sulphurous water spring and has become a source of crude oil.
There are several companies in Sour Lake including Exxon Mobil, Bruno & George Winery, J&R Meat Packaging Company, Bennett Construction, and Knife River Scale House. Some examples of particular accidents that have occurred at Sour Lake include the following:
- In 2017, a worker at Slatex Well Services of Saratoga fell 80 feet to his death from an oil well site. The worker experienced the fatal fall while working on a well site.
- Work zone fatalities in the area increased significantly resulting in 181 deaths in the state of Texas.
- In 2011, a firefighter in Sour Lake lost her arm in a tanker accident.
Vehicle Accidents in Sour Lake
There are several main roads in Sour Lake including 170 Highway, 3025 Highway, and 807 Highway. The Texas Department of Transportation reports that there were 3 fatalities in Hard County in 2015 due to motor vehicle accidents.The data compiled by the Texas Department of Transportation reports in 2010 there were 14 accidents in Chambers County involving fatalities. Some of these examples have occurred in the following way:
- For example, in 2016 a motorcyclist in sour lake was killed in a head on collision with another motor vehicle.
- Also in 2016, a motor vehicle driver rear ended another car and killed the driver.
- In 2017, a truck ran off the road resulting in substantial injuries to the driver and the eighteen wheeler. This is one of many accidents involving trucks and eighteen wheelers that occur each year in Sour Lake.
- In 2016, a man was charged with criminally negligent homicide in a car accident that resulted in the death of another motor vehicle operator. The driver collided with a vehicle stopped at an intersection and caused a three car accident.
Sour Lake is faced with many industrial accidents each year. In Sour Lake, these accidents frequently result in damage to the head, brain, back, neck, and spinal cord. Some of the most recent examples of industrial accidents in Sour Lake include:
- One example is that in 2016 a worker at Exxonmobil was killed while working on a heat exchanger when a pipe fell on his head.
- In 2017, a tractor was involved in a serious injury in a roadside collision.
Medical Malpractice in Sour Lake
There are several medical facilities in Sour Lake including CHRISTUS Minor Care Center, the Medical Center of Southeast Texas – Victory Campus, and CHRISTS Hospital – St. Elizabeth, Medical malpractice occurs at even the best medical facilities. The act of medical malpractice refers to any negligent act performed by medical staff that can result in the death or serious injury of an individual. Statistics estimate that medical malpractice is the third leading cause of death in the United States with an estimated 200,000 individuals dying each year due to medical malpractice. Individuals who have suffered due to medical malpractice frequently benefit by obtaining the assistance of skilled legal counsel.
Sour Lake Toxic Substances
There are a variety of Hazardous Wastes in Sour Lake to which workers are exposed. The Hazardous Waste Haulers company is one of the largest hazardous waste disposal companies in Sour Lake. Some of the most deadliest types of toxic substances in Sour Lake include the following:
- Asbestos Exposure. Being exposed to asbestos in the workplace can increase the risk of many serious illnesses including asbestosis, internal organs.damage, lung cancer, as well as disease of the lungs and kidney.’
- Mesothelioma is a malignant type of cancer in the lining of the lungs, heart or abdomen that is caused by inhaling asbestos fibers. Most mesothelioma victims are given a short time to live and frequently require the assistance of an experienced mesothelioma lawyer. In 2014, two lawsuits were filed in Sour Lake against Johnson & Johnson claiming that the company’s talcum powder products could have effects similar to asbestosis and mesothelioma.
- Benzene Exposure. Benzene can cause acute and chronic leukemia in addition to leukemia, non Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and aplastic anemia. In many cases, medical ailments due to benzene can take years to develop. Sour Lake is one of the oldest surviving towns in Hardin County and the birthplace of Texaco, which exposed many workers to benzene.
Sour Lake Attorney
Do hesitate to contact a skilled Sour Lake Attorney, if you are injured in an accident.