There are many workers who turn to truck driving as a way to make living. While these drivers have significant experience using simulators and have passed various examinations concerning truck driving, these drivers often lack a sufficient amount of practical driving experience. In an effort to maintain a maximum number of drivers, trucking companies often resort to hiring inexperienced drivers. Unfortunately, sometimes a truck driver’s inexperience can lead to accidents. The United States Department of Transportation issued a report in 2015 demonstrating that between 2011 to 2013, driver inexperience caused numerous commercial truck collisions. This article will examine the causes and repercussions of inexperienced truck drivers.
Regulations Regarding Driver Training
The United States Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration contains several regulations regarding the training and testing of commercial truck drivers. In accordance with these regulations, it is the responsibility of the trucking company or employer to ensure that a driver complies with regulations. Truck drivers must be adequately trained in four areas: driver qualification requirements, hours of service, driver wellness, and the existence of whistleblower protection which is a type of immunity afforded to employees who are able to question an employer’s safety practices without fear of being fired or having adverse actions taken against the employee.
Reasons Why Inexperienced Drivers Cause Accidents
Inexperienced truck drivers are susceptible to causing accidents for several reasons. Some of the reasons why commercial truck drivers cause accidents include the follow causes.
- Careless Errors. Commercial truck drivers are also more inclined than season drivers to make careless errors while driving, which can have catastrophic consequences.
- Unexpected Road Conditions. Often times, accidents occur when emergency situations unexpectedly arise and the driver is not experienced enough to know exactly how to handle the vehicle.
- Vehicle Inspection. Commercial truck drivers might also forget to properly maintain vehicles or not receive adequate training concerning what parts of a truck to examine prior to driving.
Accidents Frequently Caused By Inexperienced Drivers
Truck drivers who are not sufficiently trained are at a much greater risk of causing accidents. While inexperienced truck drivers can cause many different types of accidents, these drivers tend to cause several types of accidents.
- Inexperienced drivers tend to cause head on, rear-end, and side-impact collisions.
- Loss of Control. Inexperienced drivers tend to lose control of the vehicles, which can result in detachment accidents and rollovers.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident involving an inexperienced commercial truck driver, contact our law firm. Call 409-838-1000 or email our lawyers to schedule your free initial consultation.