Medco Energi is a publicly traded oil and gas company that is headquartered in Indonesia. Founded by Arifin Panigoro in 1980, the company focused on oil and gas exploration and production. In 2008, the company entered into gas pipeline and distribution operations.
Accidents Involving Medco Energi Workers
Some of the accidents reported that have occurred on Medco Energi oil rigs include the following:
- 2006 – An employee (rig hand) of Nabors Drilling working on the Super Sundowner XIX drilling rig sustained an injury to his hand. The injury occurred while the employee was working in the derrick replacing fingers in the fingerboard. According to the report furnished by Nabors to Medco, the employee had lifted one side of the fingerboard and was removing a bolt when the fingerboard sprung free striking the employee’s hand. The report did not specify which hand was injured. The employee remained on the rig overnight. The employee was transported to shore for medical evaluation and treatment. Has not returned to full duty yet.
- 2007 – Employee was rigging a load when the load slipped smashing his middle left finger. He received stitches to close the wound.
- 2011 – Contract employee was working to bring #2 well to flow…confirmed manual wing valve was closed, pulled relay SSV opened, opened crown valve 3-1/4 turn to check SITP, built up to 350 psi and stopped, opened up 2 more rounds on crown valve when pressure shot up to 1300 psi and lubricator for gemco unit blew off tree. Lubricator hit contractor above his right wrist. Contract employee was transported to shore. The contract employee has a broken wrist.
- 2012 – A dive tender was removing rust scale from the dive HRC using a wire grinder when it kicked back and caused an injury. The worker was sent to shore for further evaluation.
- 2015 – Worker hit his head and suffered a contusion.
The Danger of Asbestos for Offshore Oil Rig Workers
For many years, companies used asbestos without being aware that workers who were exposed to the material were at risk of being diagnosed with serious illnesses. While regulations have attempted to prohibit its use, there is still a risk of workers being harmed by asbestos in older buildings and structures.
Discover How An Oil Rig Accident Lawyer Can Help
There are a number of ways in which accidents can occur on oil rigs and leave workers suddenly facing very large medical bills, lost wages, and many obstacles. For people who are harmed in oil rig accidents, it is a wise idea to contact a skilled oil rig accident attorney who will fight for the best possible outcome in your case. Call our law office today.