With a population of over 35,000 individuals and its seat in Jasper, there are a number of accidents that occur in Jasper each year. Jasper includes the cities of Browndell, Jasper, and Kirbyville as well as the census-designated places of Buna, Evadale, and Sam Rayburn.
Each year in Jasper County there are many industrial accidents. These accidents most often involve damage to the head, back, brain, eye, neck, and spinal cord. Some of the companies in Jasper include South Jasper County Water Supply, Lewis Construction, JBC Metal Buildings, Knife River Corporation, Few Ready Mix Concrete Company, Texas Timberjack of Jasper, Parker Lumber, Jasper-Newton Electric Co-Op, and Shelby LP Gas Company. A few of the recent industrial accidents that have occurred include:
- In 2012, a traffic control supervisor for Knife River Corporation was struck by a car while installing safety flags on warning signs for a state highway project. The worker died as a result of this accident.
- In 2015, a worker at Knife River Corporation was killed at one of the company’s mines while working with staff to install new screen panels in a tower screen. A loosened feder box came loose and pinned the worker between the box and a support bracket on the screen. OSHA determined that the accident was due to management’s failure to establish policies and procedures on how to safely remove old and install new screens on the screen tower.
Car Accidents in Jasper County
Some of the major roads in Jasper include US Highway 69, US Highway 96, US Highway 190 State Highway 62, State Highway 63, and Recreational Road 255. The Texas Department of Transportation reports that in 2015 there were 12 fatalities due to accidents in Jasper. Some of these examples have occurred in the following way:
- In 2016, two people were killed when a motor vehicle operator crossed the centerline of traffic and entered the oncoming lane of traffic resulting in a head-on collision with another car.
- In 2016, a motor vehicle operator was killed in a one person accident. The reason why the vehicle left the roadway is uncertain. The vehicle ultimately entered the woods and struck a tree, which killed the car’s operator.
- In 2017, a motor vehicle died after colliding with an eighteen wheeler in Jasper. This is one of many accidents involving trucks and eighteen wheelers that occur each year in Jasper County.
- In 2017, a Jasper woman was killed in a three car accident.
- In 2017, a motorcyclist near Jasper received serious injuries after a collision.
- In 2017, a motor vehicle operator was killed and a passenger was seriously injured when the driver failed to yield the right of way at an intersection with FM 2799. The driver was struck by another vehicle.
Christus Jasper Memorial Hospital is one of the medical facilities located in Jasper. Medical malpractice is reported to result in the death of over 200,000 individuals each year. The act of medical malpractice occurs when hospital staff negligently injures a patient. It is reported that over 200,000 individuals in the United States die each year due to medical malpractice. Fortunately, a skilled accident attorney is often able to assist individuals with these cases.
In Jasper County, workers are exposed to a variety of factors, which include the following:
- Asbestos Exposure. Being exposed to asbestos in the workplace can increase the risk of many serious illnesses including asbestosis, internal organs.damage, and many serious other medical conditions. Statistics reveal that there were 90 deaths from asbestos between 1999 to 2013 in Jasper County. Currently, a Jasper County judge is in the process of deciding whether an asbestos-exposure lawsuit against Empire District Electric Company can proceed. Employees of Empire were asked to dispose of various scrap metals during the plant’s recent conversion from coal to natural gas power. The employees were not provided adequate training or safety equipment for handling this material and consequently were exposed to asbestos fibers, which are particularly dangerous. No health consequences are yet to be reported by the workers.
- Mesothelioma is a malignant type of cancer in the lining of the lungs, heart or abdomen that is caused by inhaling asbestos fibers. Mesothelioma victims can inquire about the assistance of a mesothelioma lawyer.
- Benzene Exposure. Benzene can cause acute and chronic leukemia in addition to leukemia, non Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and aplastic anemia. In many cases, medical ailments due to benzene can take years to develop.
The Assistance of a Jasper Attorney
If you are injured in an accident in Jasper, an experienced attorney can fight for the compensation that you deserve.