Wrongful Deaths in Beaumont
According to the Texas Department of State Health Services, there are an estimated 253,315 people living in Jefferson County, where Beaumont is located in. For the year 2013, a total of 2,397 deaths from all causes occurred at a rate of 867.4, which was higher than the state average of 749.2. One of the leading causes of deaths was accidents at 118, with motor vehicle accidents making up 53 of these. These deaths are referred to as wrongful deaths because they could have been prevented.
Medical Malpractice Beaumont Wrongful Deaths
In addition to accidents, diseases and illnesses were a leading cause of death in the city. The main ones were:
- Heart disease – 597 in the year
- Cancer – 488 in the year, with the most deadly cancers being lung (151 deaths), colon (53 deaths), breast (30 deaths), and prostate (23 deaths)
- Stroke (cerebrovascular disease) – 150 in the year
- Chronic lower respiratory disease – 137 in the year
Although these deaths don’t automatically qualify as wrongful deaths, they do when there was negligence on the part of the healthcare provider, whether it is a doctor, hospital, imaging or testing facility, or other healthcare provider. A medical malpractice wrongful death can occur under any of the following circumstances:
- Failure to diagnose in a reasonable amount of time
- Failure to treat in a reasonable amount of time
- Incorrect or delayed treatment
- Improper warning on medical devices or medications
- Improper reading of diagnostic testing or imagery
- And many others
Who Needs a Beaumont Wrongful Death Attorney?
Anyone who suspects their loved was killed as the result of the negligent behavior of another has the right to speak to an experienced Beaumont wrongful death attorney to determine if they have cause to file a claim. The families of the deceased also have the option to file lawsuits against dangerous drivers, faulty medical devices, improper medications, negligent employers, and any person or persons responsible for the wrongful death.
Contact a Beaumont Wrongful Death Attorney
If you or someone you know has suffered a wrongful death, contact our lawyers for a free consultation to learn your options for filing a suit.